Description of the System:
This is a system for desalination of salt water intended to produce salt-free water. The system is based on just six stages that supply processing stability and a water product of uniform texture.
The system includes preliminary treatment to remove floating pollutants, a membrane filtration system (UF), and a salt separation system utilizing automatic and controlled flow rate and pressure reverse osmosis.
The Unidress Company was founded in 1973. The company specializes in providing clothing and uniforms solutions to the professional and business sectors, and is considered to be one of the most professional companies in the realm of laundering, among other things because of its ability to supply the highest quality laundry services that answer the requirements of the micro-electrical and pharmaceutical industries. During the 1980s Unidress developed the concept of renting work clothing. Today the operations systems of Unidress include daily rounds of more than 400 distribution centers and treatment of more than 20,000 items of clothing daily. The company headquarters and main operations center are located in the Haifa Bay region with an additional operations center located in Yavneh. The company consists of about 450 employees.
Water, which constitutes a central medium in the laundry process, serves a vital role in the production procedures of the Unidress Company. The quality and stability of the texture of the water influence the consumption of cleaning materials and also the quality of the result. Therefore the company seeks to ensure the utilization of water of high quality, in other words, water with low electrical conductivity—s/cm2.100µ.
Outline of the Objectives
- Production of water of the required quality under operational and procedural conditions that ensure stability 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
- High level of utilization during the laundry process as well as consumption of detergents.
- Production of high quality laundry.
- Significant savings in operational costs.
- Production of salt-free water, without a by-product of wastewater that pollutes the environment.
- Compliance with regulatory conditions.
- Reduction of the storage space devoted to chemicals required for water treatment.
- Installation of the system in a smaller area than usually accepted for a system like this.
Flow Rate of the Water Product: 250,000 cubic meters annually
Uniqueness: the system serves as a central axis in the production process of the laundry.
Added Value Provided to the Customer:
- Characterization and placement of a wide variety of technologies for a single efficient and stable process.
- Creation and construction of a single system that comprises the functionality of two passes, First Pass and Second Pass.
- Savings in the operation costs by reduction of the stocking of chemicals and storage area.
Description of the Process:
Use of a net filter with an automatic cleaning mechanism for the separation of floating pollutants from the saline raw water whose source is a well full of organic pollutants. Collection of raw water to achieve flow rate stability under changing pumping conditions of the source water. Filtration of the water by the tubular, vertical, bi-directional UF membrane system, which removes, almost entirely, the floating organic pollutants and colloidal substances. The filtration system is equipped with automatic auxiliary systems for reverse washing, including insertion of various chemicals used to remove organisms and minerals that accumulate on the membranes of the filtration system. Insertion of an additive to prevent the precipitation of hard-to-dissolve salts, in order to facilitate a high restoration proportion in the salts separation system. The previous stages prepare the water for entry into the salts separation system (reverse osmosis) in which about 99% of the salts dissolved in the water are rejected. From there the desalinated water is sent to a storage system and supplied to the different customers.